How to use a standing desk correctly? When you start using a standing desk, you have to determine your optimal and correct height to maintain your best advantage. Otherwise, you won’t be able to use your new desk, which is equivalent to you bought nothing. Some people may say that the best height of a desk is 80cm (when sitting) and 150cm (when standing), but I would like to say that this is not fixed. There will be different heights for different people. If you like, I suggest you use an height adjustable desk.
You need to fully understand and consider the factors between you and your desk. Here are all the factors I need to consider for you:
First of all, You need to follow the Basics of Ergonomic Seating to set standing desk height – Before using a standing desk
1. A well-designed, ergonomically advanced chair that allows a full range of healthy postures throughout the day and can contribute to worker wellness and productivity.
2. Your neck needs to keep straight or slightly forward.
3. Your shoulders should keep relaxed so your arms hang naturally.
4. Back has full contact with the backrest (sit all the way back in your chair).
5. Elbows and forearms can rest comfortably on the arms of your chair, or on work surfaces.
6. Your lower back fits into curved lumbar support.
7. Tension is adjusted so backrest reclines easily, yet provides smooth, even support, and encourages postural change.
8. Make sure your thighs are parallel to the floor, and your feet are flat on the floor or on a footrest.
9. When keying or mousing, your forearms are parallel to the floor.
10. The top of the monitor should be at eye level.
11. The screen is 20~30 inches from the eyes. The screen is at eye level slightly lower and directly in front of the worker so the head is not turned.
12. Wrists should be straight when keying or mousing, not bent up or down.
Secondly, Basics of Standing and Monitor Arm Positioning to set standing desk height
1. Height adjustable desks, when combined with monitor arms, allow a full range of healthy postures throughout the day and can contribute to worker wellbeing and productivity.
2. The top of the monitor should be 0°to 20°below the horizontal line of sight.
3. Avoid locking knees to help maintain good posture.
4. Feet should be flat on the floor or use a footrest or footpad.
Take the details of the adjustable desk seriously, you will find everything will become real, useful, and beautiful. When you start to pay attention to and implement the points set out in this article, congratulations! You are one step closer to a healthy life and work, and I applaud and feel happy for you. Now start using a standing desk or teach your friend how to use a standing desk!