How To Clean A Dish Rack
One of the integral tools that you need to have for dishwashing or even storing your dishes after washing is a dish rack. Dish racks can come handy for storing your dishes or even to keep the wet dishes for drying before you can put them back to places. As much as the dish racks can be quite functional and beneficial, you must ensure that you are taking proper case of these racks. Yes, the dish racks too need a lit bit of maintenance and care. It mainly involves cleaning the dish rack. But the main question that people ask is – how to clean a dish rack? Cleaning of the dish racks is done for various reasons –
- Regular cleaning
- Removing the limescale
- Removing the mildew
- Removing the rust
To know exactly how you can effectively clean the dish racks based on your specific needs, read on.
How to regularly clean the dish racks?
As the dish racks are kept in the kitchen, the greases and dirt in the kitchen air can make the dish racks untidy. You need to clean them regularly to ensure that the dish racks are completely clean and safe for use. For regular cleaning, you will need:
- Dishwashing liquid
- A scrubber
- White vinegar
- Clean cloth
Steps for how to clean a dish rack on a regular basis:
- Take of the dish racks from wherever it is fixed or installed and then wash them with water
- Now take required amount of dishwashing liquid on the scrub pad or scrubber
- Start scrubbing the dish rack properly and cover the entire surface as well as the nooks and corners too
- Now take a cup of white vinegar and mix it in a sink full of water. Then let the dish racks completely submerged into the water-vinegar solution
- After few minutes, take out the dish rack from the water and then wipe it thoroughly with the clean dry cloth
How to remove limescale from dish rack?
Sometimes, you can notice limescale developing on the dish racks. It is mainly caused by the minerals from the hard water. The minerals get deposited on the dish racks and these form limescale. You can also remove the limescale from tap water to prevent forming on your dish rack. For cleaning method, you will need –
- White vinegar
- Paper towels
- Old toothbrush
- A scrubber
Using these materials, you can remove the limescale by following these steps:
- When the limescales are which thick and stubborn, it is better to soak the paper towel in the white vinegar first and then press that on the deposit
- You have to leave it for an hour so that it gets completely soaked in the vinegar.
- Now scrub the area with the scrubber or scrub bush
- You can add more vinegar if it is needed for scrubbing the limescale completely from the dish rack
How to clean mildew from dish rack?
While cleaning the dish racks for getting rid of limescale and dirt is easy, it can be a bit tricky when it comes to cleaning mildew. Often humid or moist weather condition can result into mildew and mold growth on the dish racks. Molds and mildew can be quite dangerous for you and your family’s health. Besides that, the water from the dishes too drips out on the dish rack causing the mold to grow. To know about how to clean dish drying rack with molds and mildew, follow these steps:
- You have to fill a tub or sink with water enough for submerging the racks. Now add ¼ cup of bleach for each gallon of the water you are using.
- Now, place the dish racks into the bleach mixed water and leave it like that for about 20 minutes. If the mold and mildew growth is severe, let it soak for 30 minutes.
- After the required time has passed, you have to take the rack out and then wipe the racks gently with the sponge or cloth.
- For the corners, you can also use toothbrushes. Make sure that you are cleaning every corner and the entire surface thoroughly to eliminate the mildew and mold
- Now rinse the dish racks again thoroughly with plain water to remove any residue of bleach. Once done, let the racks to dry completely before you use them again.
How to clean the rust from dish rack?
Due to exposure to water and humidity, the dish racks can get rusted. Cleaning the rust can be quite hard and it is more difficult than any other cleaning process. You will need oxalic acid cleaner for cleaning the rusts from your dish rack. Once you have got the oxalic acid, follow these steps:
- First start by sprinkling the rusted areas of your dish rack with some oxalic acid cleaner
- Now you have to use a clean damp cloth or even a brush for scrubbing off the rust from the dish rack
- Then, you have to rinse and dry the dish racks properly for removing any traces of the oxalic acid cleaner from the dish rack
Choose the best dish rack
To make it easier for you to maintain and clean properly, you have to use the best in class dish racks. You can use the cabinet dish rack that are easy to clean and made up of 100% stainless steel. This will ensure you:
- Proper cleaning of the dish racks
- No rusting problem for the dish racks
- Easy cleaning and maintenance throughout the year
- Removable whenever needed for cleaning
So, when you keep your dishes after washing on these dish racks, the water will drip away at the bottom. It will also help to keep the dishes for simply air drying them.
These are some of the best ways for how to clean dish drying rack in the best way possible. Dish drying racks need different cleaning methods for different issues such as limescale, rusting and mildew or mold growth. Each and every method is discussed above along with the ingredient you need. You have to ensure that you are keeping these dish drying racks clean not only for making your kitchen aesthetically beautiful but it is also needed to ensure that the racks are completely germ-free in nature. Cleaning the dish drying rack is important for health kitchen environment too.